Ultimately, we are never truly “separated” from God. If God’s Spirit didn’t reside in us then we could not exist. For, God is the “Life” of every being. He resides in the heart of both the good & bad. He is the “Force” which animates our physical body; and the “Energy” from which we were all made.
However, not all of us feel this intmate and close connection between ourselves & God. This feeling of distance is a consequence of our own actions. Separation is the “spiritual death” which humanity became subject to as a result of their selfish actions, which is told in the Book of Gensis story of “The Fall in the Garden of Eden” (Chapter 3). And we need to be aware that the more we give into fulfilling our own will & desires, rather than seeking to fulfill the will of God, the further away from God & deeper into the darkness of worldly ignorance we shall be.
The point of life is to regain the conscious connect which we had with God when we were first created. Therefore, if you truly and sincerely seek to become reunited with Him; then there are 5 things which you should be aware of because they keep us “feeling” separated from Him:
- Our disobedience to God’s Law. (Isaiah 59:2; Ezekiel 18:20; 2 Thessalonians 1:9)
- Returning to the same actions & sins once we have confessed them and asked forgiveness for them. (Galatians 6:7)
- Wanting & desiring selfish things. (James 3:16, Bhagavad-Gita 3:36-41, Qur’an 45:23, Dhammapada 48 )
- Anger. As well as, arguing without making amends. (Bhagavad-Gita 2:63, 16:2; James 1:20; Hadith of Bukhari and Muslim; Digha Nikaya i.3, Brahmajala Sutta; Basavanna, Vachana 248)
- Neglecting to love God with all our hearts, soul, mind, & strength; and not loving our neighbor as ourself.
If we do some self-examination & search our hearts to know the motivations behind our actions; study the scriptures so that we fully understand God’s law; and seek to love God & the divine light within others, then we would awaken from our sleep and reattune with the Divine within us. We would find God within the temple of our hearts & recognize that He was always & forever will be a part of us.
God bless you on your journey to self-discovery & reunion with God. And please remember to always — Heed the Spirit,